Friday, January 28, 2011

Something to do on a cold day in winter.

I read. A lot. On any given day I can be reading as many as three books with a magazine thrown in for good measure. When it warms to hotter than hell I read in the shade- but this time of year I just love to cozy up under a warm blanket with a hot adult beverage and read.

This week I feel compelled to share what I am reading because I think a lot of you will love it too.

It is called Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls.

The chapters are short and compelling, each one ending with a heady little punch.
The story is of Jeannette Walls Grandmother, a child of the plains and a horse wrangler from a very young age. A young woman who took her destiny into her own hands and made something of herself.  A travelling teacher, pilot, mechanic, mother and wife, the flavor of this book starts deep and stays with you. 



The first book from Jeannett Walls is this one- The Glass Castle. A memoir of her poverty stricken life, the struggles of her parents and her own struggle to break free. This is a heart stopping and beautiful read. Never maudlin, Ms Walls  recounts her life in a matter of fact style.


I had the pleasure to hear Ms. Walls read and speak when The Glass Castle first came out. She is a striking woman, soft spoken but not shy. A true Steel Magnolia if ever there was one. 

So grab a cuppa', your softest blanket, maybe a box of tissue and crack one of these books. I'll bet you'll love them too.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

OH YEAH! Half Broke Horses was an excellent book! I haven't read the Glass Castle yet, but I'd like to. Excellent author!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I've read both books and couldn't put them down. I absolutely loved them. I remember I was on vacation in Santa Barbara with my other while reading one of them, and she got mad at me for paying more attention to the book than to her.

Maia said...

I have Half Broke Horses and have been meaning to read it. I will definitely start now. Thanks.

Maia said...

I have Half Broke Horses and have been meaning to read it. I will definitely start now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I read A LOT and am always looking for something new that catches my fancy!

BTW, do you use Goodreads.com? Several of us horsey type bloggers do. Look me up if you're on there or decide to join!