Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Time for Inspiration!

"When I face the desolate impossibility of writing 500 pages, a


sick sense of failure falls on me, and I know I can never do it.

Then gradually, I write one page and then another. One day's work

is all I can permit myself to contemplate."



-- John Steinbeck



I really like this quote because I feel the same way. I know a lot of you do too. So instead of worrying about what you CAN'T accomplish- lets resolve now- before Jan 1 2011 - to be glad that we CAN accomplish something. Even one page a day. Some days even one good sentence.
 
And for you non writers out there- we can also apply this to our horse lives. We can't always ride for two hours, or sometimes even ONE hour- but we can brush our horses, comb their manes, clean their feet, teach them a trick or a modicum of respect from the ground. We can clean ONE piece of tack, read one helpful article or take one good picture.
 
Thank you John Steinbeck- you've helped us all much more than you could ever have guessed!

4 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Did he really try to write 500 pages in a day? I've been working on a novel from 5:45 AM until about 4:00 PM each day, and I type 90 WPM, and when all is said and done, I usually have completed about 20 pages. I'm trying to publish a novel electronically through Amazon for the Kindle, iPad and iPhone because I want to learn the process of self-publishing, but I have to complete a novel first. I'm in a race against time, because pretty soon I'm going to have to get a real, paying job and then I won't have time to write or take photographs. I've have a lot of false starts where I never got to finish a writing project thanks to the need to pay the bills intervening.

Maia said...

If those aren't the truest words ever written. You just have to start and then take the next indicated action. Once again mes ami, you write the things we all need to read. Thank you.

Carolyn Plath said...

LOVE the Steinbeck quote. It's encouraging to know we're not alone in those feelings. Thanks, B.

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron